The purpose of the Athens County Historical Society & Museum is to collect, preserve, and display items of historical nature; to promote interest in and disseminate information about the history of Athens County and its people and to provide an organizational structure for affiliations by groups with similar historical interests.
The Athens County Historical Society and Museum envisions itself as the premier historical society, museum, and genealogical center for all of Southeastern Ohio. The organization will preserve and maintain relevant artifacts, develop educational experiences for the public, and provide professional quality service to the public, researchers, and interested members of the public.
The Athens County Historical Society and Museum values the following:
- Athens County History
- Professional quality preservation of Athens County History
- Providing access to the collection by researchers and the public at large
- Effective and accurate education about Athens County History
- Our employees, volunteers, donors, patrons, and community
- Professionalism in all interactions between people
- Honesty and integrity
- Diversity among people without regard for gender, race, place of origin, beliefs, orientation, or physical condition.
- Be proactive in locating and professionally maintaining and preserving significant artifacts of Athens County History.
- Maintain an excellent, user-friendly museum of Athens County History.
- Update and rotate exhibits on a regular basis.
- Maintain an excellent historical and genealogical library.
- Be proactive in informing the public at large of significant risk to historical buildings, locations, and/or artifacts and lobby for their preservation if they are salvageable.
- Increase interest in local history within the schools and the community at large through education and exposure.
- Provide professional researchers for public use at reasonable costs.
- Provide excellent value-added services for members.
- Develop positive relations with the many facets of the communities that comprise Athens County, Ohio.
- Develop a significant volunteer base.
- Demonstrate respect and appreciation for volunteers, interns, employees, and others who donate time to the organization.
- Expand facilities and services over the coming years to accommodate the unfolding history of Athens County, Ohio.
- Develop significant funding sources to accomplish goals of the organization.