The purpose of the Southeast Ohio History Center is to collect, preserve and share Southeast Ohio’s unique cultural and natural heritage.
Southeast Ohio History Center will be a trusted leader in preserving our heritage and inspiring in people and communities a greater passion for sharing stories and building our future.
The Athens County Historical Society and Museum values the following:
- Athens County History
- Professional quality preservation of Athens County History
- Providing access to the collection by researchers and the public at large
- Effective and accurate education about Athens County History
- Our employees, volunteers, donors, patrons, and community
- Professionalism in all interactions between people
- Honesty and integrity
- Diversity among people without regard for gender, race, place of origin, beliefs, orientation, or physical condition.
- Be proactive in locating and professionally maintaining and preserving significant artifacts of Athens County History.
- Maintain an excellent, user-friendly museum of Athens County History.
- Update and rotate exhibits on a regular basis.
- Maintain an excellent historical and genealogical library.
- Be proactive in informing the public at large of significant risk to historical buildings, locations, and/or artifacts and lobby for their preservation if they are salvageable.
- Increase interest in local history within the schools and the community at large through education and exposure.
- Provide professional researchers for public use at reasonable costs.
- Provide excellent value-added services for members.
- Develop positive relations with the many facets of the communities that comprise Athens County, Ohio.
- Develop a significant volunteer base.
- Demonstrate respect and appreciation for volunteers, interns, employees, and others who donate time to the organization.
- Expand facilities and services over the coming years to accommodate the unfolding history of Athens County, Ohio.
- Develop significant funding sources to accomplish goals of the organization.