2022 Asylum Tour Dates!
Are you looking for an outdoor activity that the whole family can enjoy? SOHC is happy to announce our list of dates for walking tours of the Athens Asylum! Join long-time Appalachian Behavioral Health employee and Athens Asylum advocate, George Eberts, for an engaging tour of the grounds and cemeteries. Learn about the history of mental health treatment, from the Kirkbride Plan to the present day, as well as George’s personal anecdotes. Dates for the asylum will be as follows:
- April 9th- 2pm
- May 14th- 2pm
- June 11th- 2pm
- July 9th- 2pm
- August 13th- 2pm
- August 27th- 2pm
- September 10th- 2pm
- October 8th- 2pm
- October 29th- 2pm
- October 30th-1pm
- October 30th- 5pm
Tours meet in front of the Kennedy Museum of Art
100 Ridges Cir, Athens, OH 45701-6812, United States
****Due to the popularity of our tours we do require preregistration.****
Call SOHC at 740-592-2280 ext.100 to reserve your spot. Space will be limited. We will update the list above as tours sell out.
- SOHC Members: $15
- Non-members: $18
- Students: $10
- Children 12 and under: Free
- Asylum Tour + SOHC admission: $20
- SOHC closes at 3:30pm so please plan to visit us before the asylum tour!
Reminder: this is a two hour outdoor walking tour, so please plan accordingly.
Rain Policy: We conduct the Asylum Tour in rain or shine so please bring appropriate clothing and umbrellas as conditions require. Cancellation will take place only if dangerous weather such as lighting storm or high winds are active. In winter months, if there is a level 2 or 3 snow emergency, the tour will be canceled as well. In the event of cancellation, those with prepaid tickets can call us and choose either another tour or receive a refund.
REFUND POLICY: Refunds will be given only under the following circumstances:
• Requests that are pre-paid and made at least 48 Hours prior to tour.
• Active lightening storms- you will be given either tickets to attend another tour of your choice, or, ticket price will be refunded. Rain DOES NOT cancel the tours- please bring appropriate rain/weather gear.
• Level 2 or higher snow emergency